I was contracted by a South Florida startup to lead and coordinate all design efforts for a new commercial vehicle driver app that connected with a vehicle diagnostic adapter. As their only designer, I worked very closely with the business owner, developers, and existing clients to outline the project goals and outcomes.

The main features of the app were to include:

  1. Hours of Service/Duty Status Log (HOS Log)
  2. Driver Vehicle Inspection Reports (DVIR) 
  3. Roadside Inspection Reports

The challenge

Improve driver safety for commercial vehicle drivers while streamlining their current reporting processes.


my role

UX Research, UX Design, UI Design


November 2016 - April 2017

Tools Used

Sketch, Photoshop, InVision, Zeplin



I conducted contextual interviews with both fleet managers and commercial drivers to better understand their behaviors, motivations, goals, and needs. The following discoveries were made:

  • Many drivers still use paper forms to log their Hours of Service and fill out Driver Vehicle Inspection Reports. 
  • Drivers need a tool to keep them on task while on the go
  • Drivers are generally receptive to trying a mobile app

The information I collected through interviews allowed me to build two unique user personas. Meet Matt and Asher:


Interaction design

Mapping out key user flows was essential to understanding how drivers would interact with the app. The following design features were most important to users:

  1. Interactive onboarding tutorial for first-time users
  2. Warnings and alerts to improve driver safety
  3. Automated Duty Status tracking and grid log graph
  4. Streamlined DVIR flow

Usability testing

Once the user flows were mapped out, I built a prototype. I focused on testing the onboarding experience to see if the guided tutorial was easy to follow and helpful.

Based on the results I collected, users were able to navigate through the onboarding tutorial with ease, however, would have liked to see tips throughout the entire app and not just on the Dashboard.

Additionally, I received generally positive feedback about the DVIR flow. A minor change that I made following user testing was that I added a note telling users to tap on a item if it had a deficiency.


the result

The app is currently in development and will be available for download in the Apple Store and Google Play Store this summer. 



One of the most powerful things about this product is the data that is collected through the vehicle diagnostic adapter. If I had more time to collect driver statistics, I would look at specific data points such as driver speeds, percentage of mobile use while in Driving mode, average sustained driving times, and more, to determine what factors translate to the most accidents. 

Using this data, I would try to improve upon or add a new feature to the app to see how this might affect driver safety. For example, if the data showed that users who use their mobile devices while in Driving mode led to more accidents, I might try adding a setting to the app that locks drivers out of their phones if the vehicle diagnostic adapter reads that they are driving. 


Note: To comply with my non-disclosure agreement, I have intentionally omitted confidential information from this case study. The information found in this case study should not be reproduced without prior consent.